Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

USB LAN Controller

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Kaasschaaf, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Kaasschaaf

Kaasschaaf Active Member
    THE LEGEND VIP

Hey,

I need some advice plz. My ethernet port on my laptop doesn't work properly anymore. If i push on the cable in a certain direction i have wired internet (yes i've tried different cables). But when i release pressure on the cable i also lose connection.

I was thinking of buying a USB ethernet controller. Do these things work well?
    This also means i have to create an extra usb port by using a usb-hub (already got one of those, haven't used it yet).

I prefer to have my mouse connected to my laptop directly, for optimal speed.. so not with the usb hub bypass bs. And i feel the same aboutr the usb lan controller?

Do devices lose any speed when connected via usb hubs?

I have 3 usb ports on my laptop. 1 for mouse, 1 for wireless keyboard receiver, 1 that goes into cooling pad which also has a usb port. I need get another usb port from somewhere for the usb lan thing.

https://www.allekabels.nl/usb_acces...3lmboRo6sWg9RZeVuikAc6ydfuO343zRoC8cEQAvD_BwE

Should i order one of these?

Thanks!

2. RUS

RUS Well-known Russian
    Server Regular THE LEGEND VIP

my advice if u have usb 3.0 port - ok, try it
    but if u have only USB 2.0 - better way is repair ethernet port

3. punisher

punisher Hacker
    Administrator S-Admin Clan Leader Clan Member

I'm guessing you already tried multiple ethernet cables, right?
    If you only tried it with the one that didn't fit, then i'd recommend you to test it with a diffirent one, as those clips may break off and when won't be clipped on the side of the port but instead will be loose and usually lose connection when you release pressure.

Else you could try it, at the end you have a min of 14 days to retrieve it whenever it doesn't work like you think it should.

4. Blowpop

Blowpop Member

It seems like either the clipping mechanism is damaged or pins are not aligned or just warn out plastic.
    Have you tried using a thin piece of plastic, cardboard, tape, etc.. between the cable and port to make it more snug or force it to one direction?

5. punisher

punisher Hacker
    Administrator S-Admin Clan Leader Clan Member

Exactly what i meant.

6. The Tempest

The Tempest Member

If the socket is held just by the pins with nothing else holding it then one or more pins can fracture creating a broken / intermittent connection. Worse if you keep plugging / unplugging all the time as you're bending the connections each time.

Had that happen on a synth. I hot-glued the socket to the case so it physically couldn't move, re-soldered the broken pin joint and it was fine.

I hate sockets that are just held by the soldered pins, it's asking for trouble. Cheap manufacturing though.

Medvedik likes this.