Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

[Preperation] Installing your IDE - C# Tutorial

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by punisher, Jun 19, 2017.

1. punisher

punisher Hacker
    Staff Member Administrator S-Admin Clan Leader Clan Member

Hey,

If you are reading this, then I'm expecting that you are interesting into learning C#.
    Before we can start programming, we'd first need to setup our IDE (integrated development environment).

There are a bunch of IDE's you can use, and it's all up to your own preferences. There are a bunch of free IDE's.

Here is a small list of the most popular IDE's out there for C#:
    - Visual Studio from microsoft
    - monoDevelop
    - sharpDevelop
    - EAP Rider Project (Early Build) from Jet Brains1
    1. EAP Rider Project is in Early build and you'll need to sign up in order to get the early build.

It is all up to you about which IDE your installing.

This tutorial is not about how to install programs. Therefore I'll be sharing some video's to will help you to install your IDE.

Install Visual Studio 2017 Community edition

Install monoDevelop

Install sharpDevelop

When installing be sure to install C# and asp.net framework, if it's asking you what the supported languages are.

What IDE will be used for this series?
    I will be using Visual Studio Enterprise 2017 with Jet Brains Resharper.
    If you are going to use the same program, then I'm recommending to install Visual Studio Community Edition, as it's free and offers you the features you need.

What is Resharper?
    Resharper boosts up productivity, and makes my programming more efficient. It offers a lot of features, but I'm mainly using it for error checking, it displays exactly where errors are, it also gives me feedback on programming rules. It also provides snippets for me to use and a lot of other things.
    You wouldn't need this, unless you are on cost or time limited projects, and want to do things quickly.

This first 'tutorial' wasn't really a tutorial, but more like suggestions about your IDE.
    Watching YouTube videos or google to install your preferred IDE, however I'm not able to help you out with differences on other IDE's then the one I'm using.

[Next Tutorial - Programming Basics]

2. punisher

punisher Hacker
    Staff Member Administrator S-Admin Clan Leader Clan Member

For people that can not run such heavy load, and are having issue's with any of the programs above.
    Atom, a text editor made by Github has an addons named omnisharp.

I use Atom for my web development and when I'm having to edit a single code file, and is very user friendly and easy to use.
    So for anybody who can't run Visual Studio, or any of the other IDE's, than I'd recommend you using Atom with omnisharp.